Skip to main content

My lawyer did not fulfill his obligations to my case. Now he won't help me straighten it out. What recourse do I have?

Morrisville, VT |

There was a legal paper drawn up that I would not be on the sex offender list and now I find I am. We paid lots of money to this attorney and he will not help fix it. This is ruining my life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Lawyers aren't obligated to specific outcomes, and they don't guarantee results in any cases. This general principle is true in all manner of legal maters, but most especially it is true in criminal matters. If you are on the sex registry list, you got there by the order of the court or by the intended implementation of such court order. If you want to "fix it" by an appeal, very likely you will need to engage new appellate counsel, or re-engage your previous attorney on a new contract. If you want to "fix it" by some other method, that is likely outside the scope of your prior criminal defense representation and will likely require a new agreement.

Your first and best step is to have a frank exchange of information with your former attorney, one that does not pre-suppose erroneous reasons for the fact that you are listed on the sex offender registry.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer