Skip to main content

My lawyer cashed my car accident settlment check and will not pay me what do i do

Sacramento, CA |

My attorney did not let me see the 2 checks i signed when i signed them, and she put them in her account. now she is threatening me and blackmailing me with the money, saying she is going to have me put in jail for pawning her jewlery. i have no paperwork, and she never even hade a file on me.we were close friends i thought.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Contact the state bar and file a complaint.


You need to report this behavior to the California State Bar. Or, if you are having a fee dispute, you need to go to Arbitration. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Auto Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Manuel Juarez. Esq., is licensed only in California. He practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, Manuel A. Juarez es licenciado solo en California.


There is obviously more to this story than you are telling us.


You need to consult with a lawyer in your area to determine if you have a State Bar complaint or maybe a legal malpractice case or something else.


Did you ask her why she did this?

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response is for educational purposes only. I have not met with you and I am not knowledgeable about the specific details of your case. Each case is unique and different. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you contact and meet with a licensed criminal defense attorney to discuss your specific circumstances. In addition, an attorney-client relationship is not created by virtue of this response.


This doesn't make a ton of sense, but you can go to fee arbitration which sounds like your best bet:


Contact the disciplinary board, and they will resolve this with lightning speed.


You need to inform the disciplinary board in the state which the attorney practices. For example, here is the site for California: The disciplinary board will be eager to enforce ethical rules against such action. Best of luck to you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer