Skip to main content

My landlord house payment is 795.41 we pay 1025 and he want to raise it to at least 1200 is that fair

Seymour, TN |

if its not what grounds do we have to stand on

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Do you have a written lease for a specified term (I.e. a year)? If so, your landlord cannot unilaterally change the terms of your lease. If however, you are a month to month tenant... Meaning you have no written lease, then your landlord may raise rent as long as your landlord provides proper notice.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


The amount that your landlord pays for the house payment is irrelevant to what you pay in rent. He is setting a rental payment that helps cover his house note on the property along with taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc... A landlord can set a rental rate at whatever he chooses and a tenant can then decide if it's too much or reasonable. There is no law that limits the amount a landlord can charge. The market of potential renters sets that rate. So if he sets the rate too high, the property will remain vacant and the landlord will lose money. If he sets it too low then it will stay rented and the landlord loses potential money he could have made with a higher rate. If you think the new rate is to high, then move out. Or talk to the landlord about a compromised rate that is higher than what you currently pay but less than what he proposes. If you are good tenants, he might agree to a lower amount.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer