My landlord has been sexually harassing me and I am behind on my rent. He is now trying to evict me in 7 days. What should I do?

Howell, MI |

He saw me talking to the man that cuts the lawn and got angry. My cousin was there and witnessed the whole thing and him refusing to fix an electrical problem at the house that same day. I have told him that he needs to stop the sexual harassment. He said he's getting a 7 day eviction. I have 3 kids and nowhere to go. What should I do?

There is no 7 day eviction in Michigan. It will take him about 6 weeks or more to get you out of there. You may have breach of contract or criminal charges you can file against him, depending on what he has done. You may want to check with an attorney.

If he wants to evict you, he needs to give you a 30 day notice to quit. If you are not out in 30 days, he has to set up a court hearing. That typically takes another 1-2 weeks. If you are not out after the judge orders you to leave, the sheriff can have your property removed.

A copy of the Michigan Landlord Tenant Guide is here: www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/tenantlandlord.pdf‎

You may find that helpful. Best of luck to you. I would respectfully suggest that you may be better off finding another place to live.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

I agree with Mr. Frederick- get an attorney to assist you.

Contact a tenant rights group or your local bar association. Many local bar associations have a list of attorneys who are willing to help folks out like you, who do not have the funds to pay to hire an attorney. If you end up in court ask the judge for a continuance to give you time to hire/find an attorney

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Good suggestions