My landlord does not have a required rental license and has violated the terms of my lease. Can I sue for back rent?

Elgin, IL |

My city requires that a landlord hold a renter's license for every property that they rent as well as have an inspection done, both inside and out prior to the property being rented. My landlord does not have a license to rent and I have had multiple problems since I moved into my apartment. I have reported him to the authorities and I am planning on moving out. Is there anything that I can do to recover the money it's going to cost me to move again, as well as the back rent that I have already paid?

Probably not, although it's possible you may have some valid claim to have at least a portion of the rent paid returned (although, frankly, it may be much more trouble than it's worth). You should check with an attorney who can analyze all the facts at issue in your matter and decide if it's something worth pursuing.