Skip to main content

My landlord asked for a copy of my bank statement am I required to give it to him?

Phoenix, AZ |
Attorney answers 3


You are not required to give it to him. He is not required to rent property to you. His request is legitimate. He wants to see that you have the abiity to pay the rent. Bank statement is one way of establishing your ability. It may be an invasion of your privacy, but it is legal to request it.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


I agree with my colleague. From the landlord's point of view, he may not want to risk renting to someone who cannot afford the lease.


There is nothing illegal or illegitimate in this landlords request. Landlords may seek assurances that you will be able to financially handle the rental obligation you are about to contract. If your bank statements are not a good reflection of your income as you may not deposit your entire income in the bank or for any other reason, you could ask if he/she would accept copies of your pay-stubs, or a letter from your employer or other income sources such as child support, SSI or pension. Nonetheless, the Landlord is within their rights to request such documentation.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.