Skip to main content

My land contract is due up and My land lord cant sign another one because his property assets have been frozen due to a lawsuit

Hillsdale, MI |

if a home is co owned by two people and one of them is under investigation in a lawsuit and his property assets have been frozen what happens to the other co owners share of the properties? is he allowed to continue land contracts to people who are purchasing the homes before the lawsuit ever happened? My land contract is up and we are suppose to be signing another contract but cant because he doesnt know wether he will be in trouble for it. the property deed is in his and his sons names. would he be allowed to sign a continuence to our previous land contract aggreements? his son has nothing to do with the lawsuit but he is owns the property too would he be allowed to continue the landcontract without his dad being on it? i dont want to lose my home and i need a legal contract to continue

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your interests in the home seem to be tenuous according to the facts you have presented. Given the importance of the property, you need a lawyer to review your rights and see what can be done to renew or extend you. Rights under a land contract. This is a problem where you really want to hire a lawyer.

The answer to this question does not constitute legal advice nor does create a client relationship with the attorney answering this question. For more specific advice regarding your situation, please consult your lawyer.


This is a duplicate of your earlier question. You should discuss with an attorney to determine how best to proceed. The attorneys involved in the lawsuit may decide that it is in everyone's interest for your contract to continue. You could also refinance and pay off the contract.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


You need an attorney to negotiate the continuance of your contract.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


Follow the advice of the others and retain counsel. This issue needs more information to be evaluated.

This reply is for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice by a lawyer to a client unless and until the questioner and an attorney have entered into an attorney-client relationship pursuant to the terms of a signed engagement letter specifying, among other matters, the scope of the engagement and the attorney's billing rates and procedures .

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer