Skip to main content

My kids, Cedric(7) & Cadence (3) father was murdered Feb. 24th 2013 can we receive wrongful death compensation?

Mobile, AL |

My kids, Cedric(7) & Cadence (3) father was murdered in my front yard, no we weren't married but I lived with him from 18-26 years of age. He took care of everything that needed to be paid and when he passed we were left with nothing. I've tried to see could we receive some kind of compensation but they said he was so many credits off and we were denied.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


I was very sorry to read of your loss. My dad died when I was 15, and we,too, we're left with nothing. It was tough, but we got through. Sounds like you are referring to Social Security benefits. You should see a lawyer that specializes in Social Security for that. Other benefits may also be available through government and other organizations. In our state, for example, there is a Victims of Violent Crime fund that will help. You should explore the case and all your circumstances with a local, experienced personal injury and wrongful death attorney immediately. He or she may uncover some avenues for you. I hope so. I wish you the best.


Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss. You should contact an experienced local lawyer who handles Social Security benefits cases and personal injury cases.


So sorry for your loss. The Mobile County District Attorneys Office can assist with a possible victims compensation fund claim.
Our firm specializes in automobile accident claims but I will be glad to put you in touch with a local attorney who handles Social Security claims to review your other legal options.
Stephen Moore
Moore Law Firm
Since 1988


Without knowing more about your children's father died, there is no way to tell if there is potential wrongful death claim. You would need to contact a local experienced personal injury attorney to review the facts. As indicated by the other attorneys, what other benefits the children may be entitled to, can also be addressed by an attorney dealing with such benefits.


Please check with your State to see if they have a victim's compensation fund. I m sorry for your loss, but other than a victims compensation from, your only other potential source is form the person who committed the crime, and the chances of collecting from that person are not very good unless he has property or money. I would check into that and discuss with the prosecuting attorneys office.


I am sorry for your loss. It is certainly possible to obtain a judgment against an individual for wrongful death after a murder. The problem usually lies in collectibility of the judgment. Unless there is insurance money available or the person responsible has significant assets, any judgment obtained would likely be worthless. Alabama has a Crime Victim's Compensation Fund that may be able to offer assistance to you and your family.

Alabama law requires that I inform you that no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.


You can certainly have a local lawyer investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee.


i am very sorry for your loss.
My suggestion is to meet with a personal injury lawyer. There may be some claims to bring that you have not thought about.
When you mention, credits I am assuming you were trying to make a social security claim and you were told your children's father did not have enough work credits. This may or may not be true. Contact an attorney who regularly handles social security claims in your city--actually talk to more than one. There may be a way for your children to qualify for benefits.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer