Skip to main content

My kid of 2 1/2 years old was bit by a dog on the face. What do I have to do?

Dallas, TX |

I did call 911, fire department show up did a report on it also I have a medical record and pictures, the bite ac-cured when passing by going in to grocery store in Plano TX and close by there was a dog adoption campaign in front of a pet store which I had to pass by to go in the grocery store, the dog was a shitzu and when my kid walk the dog jump from under a table on my kid face and bit him, when I pick him up right away.I want to specify that the dog was out of cage and not in a leash, also my kid did not approach the dog to play with it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


I am sorry to hear that your son. You should hire a board certified personal injury lawyer in Plano or Dallas to handle an injury claim. This is not something you can do without help. A claim for a dog bite is more complicated than it may sound. If you don't get help, the other side will try to low ball you.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


This is a very traumatic event for any parent. I recommend that you consult with a lawyer immediately. The lawyer should get all the reports from the police/humane officer and get more information about who owned the dog at the tiime your child was bitten. It is also important to document the injuries - photographs are very important. I hope this information helps. Good luck.


As usual your child's health should be of first priority. The owner of the dog or even the store can have some negligent exposure for the dog. Typically, they dogs have to have some sort of history of behavior problems but it isn't always necessary to prove up a case. My office has handled several of these type of cases, but you for sure should consult with an attorney before talking to the store or the owner of the dog.


You should speak to a personal injury lawyer immediately. Dog bite law can be very tricky. There are numerous laws and regulations to consider at the city, county and state levels. Leash laws differ from city to city and courts in different jurisdictions enforce them differently.

Second, you need to be sure the local animal control was notified. They will do an investigation to identify exactly which dog and dog owners are responsible. (Since it was a pet adoption this could be hard to pinpoint later). Then your attorney can pull the bite report and run a check to determine if the dog has done it before.


I hope your son is recovering well. I agree that you should consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. It isn't necessary that your lawyer be board certified, but you do want an attorney who is experienced with dog bite cases and injuries to children.

An experienced lawyer can help make sure that claims are made against all negligent parties and also that the demand for compensation includes the cost of future care that may be needed, such as plastic surgery to correct scars or treatment for post traumatic stress.

I wish you and your son the best, You can feel free to contact me to discuss your son's case if you wish.

This information is general in nature and is not legal advice for your specific situation. No Attorney-Client relationship is created by this communication. There is no substitute for a personal consultation with an attorney who is skilled in the area of law in which you seek assistance, and who has been provided adequate information upon which to base an opinion.


You would want to retain one of the above lawyers in your state to investigate a claim against the owner and/or store.


I think you have a case worth further review. I would also be interested in knowing the extent of your child's injury. You should contact a Dallas personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. You can also follow my link for more information on dog bite cases.


I am sorry this happend to your kid. The first thing you need to do is consult with a lawyer to protect any evidence. Depending on the circumstances you may be able to sue the grocery store and the pet store. In terms of damages, you should be able to recover monies for pain suffering, disfigurement, as well as, having a plastic surgeon repair any scarring. Any questions please let me know.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


Sorry to hear about your son. If you know the name of the shelter that was doing the adoption campaign you can contact them and see if the dog was one of their shelter dogs. If it was not one of their dogs then it may be difficult to find the owner of the dog at this point. I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area for help with this incident as soon as possible.


I am so sorry to hear about this traumatic event for your family. You need to document with photographs as your child heals because things change and it can help to show all the trauma that was inflicted. People tend to things just heal up but that is not always the case. There may be chewing problems that develop in your child as the skin heals. More problems can arise depending on where the bite is located. Document what the doctors are telling you and which doctors you have seen because your lawyer will need this. You need to document your child's nightmares and fears as your child handles this traumatic event. A personal injury attorney can assist with getting the medical records and that is something you do not need to have to deal with. A lawyer can help find the owner or responsible party if that is not known. They will negotiate with the insurance company and take the case to trial if necessary to compensate you and your family for medical expenses and pain and suffering. I suggest you call someone to assist you as soon as possible as you have enough on your hands taking care of your child.

Legally related content or information is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such legal Information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer