Skip to main content

My job owes me thousands in back wages what can i do?.

Seattle, WA |

I work at hotel as front desk manager. I have been here for about a year and 2 months now and work 45- 50 hours per week on a salary of 1000.00 a month that adds up to a little over 6.00 an hour our min wage is 8.67. I have been told that it has to at least add up to that and i should get over time. If this is right my boss owes me more than a few thousand dollars. I have been told by the state that if i report it i will most likely not get my money back and most likely get fired so there is no point to file a claim. there has to be something i can do just what? That is allot of money to just do nothing about.!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


(a) You want a solution to your problem.

(b) The solution to your problem is to file a report with the state labor department.

(c) You have stated that you do not want to pursue "b".

These three together make it impossible to apply reasoning or logic to your problem.

I truly wish you the best.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.


Under Washington law, you are entitled to double damages and attorneys fees if your employer intentionally withholds pay due to you. I suggest you go talk to an employment law attorney. Many will do an initial consultation for free.

You will want to talk to an attorney before you take further steps because it may be that you are receiving compensation in some other form (e.g. free housing) and would not have a case. There are other specifics that an attorney would also need to check into.

Assuming you do have a case, you can file a claim against your employer. They might well fire you, which is a risk you will take. You will have an additional claim against them, and would also likely qualify for unemployment, but your immediate income would still be cut.

In the alternative, you could find another job (I know, easier said than done) and then pursue your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer