Skip to main content

My job accused me of stealing, said they have video proof, then asked me how much, and why I stole it, I did not steal anything.

Orlando, FL |

I was harrassed by lp, and a gm, and security guard, saying that if i did not confess, and if I left i would go to jail. I left and have not heard anything in a week, what should i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Find a new job. Nothing in your posting indicates that your employer did anything illegal or could be considered grounds for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, if you are an at-will employee, your employer can terminate you at any time for any reason, and they are under no obligation to investigate claims of theft prior to terminating an accused employee.

If your employer presses charges against you, get a criminal defense attorney immediately.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.


The truth shall make you free! You didn't do it so that is that. Right?


Hopefully you did not confess. It is possible that the employer will forward what proof they have to the police who may or may not contact you. If the police do contact you, DO NOT speak to them without a lawyer. The police will determine if they have enough evidence for the State to prosecute and if they believe they do, they will forward the info on to the State to make a charging decision. If the State feels they have enough evidence to prosecute you they will ask the court to issue a warrant for your arrest. Again it comes down to the evidence the store has against you.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. FACDL find a lawyer:

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.