Skip to main content

My Italian girlfriend owns a line of handbags and wants to sell them here while in town on B1 . How can it be done legally ?

Miami, FL |

We have done "trunk shows" before where buyers place order for future models and she gets paid when she goes back to Italy. But now her new bags are ready and we would like to bring them here and try to sell them at a friend's store.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I strongly suggest a consultation with a International Business attorney. There are many in Miami, and some are very good at what they do, but their fees are less because they are solo practitioners or in smaller firms. It sounds like that's what you need.

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at:


It might be possible to "consign" the goods from Italy to the US enterprise. If not actively engaged in the business, pre-consignment of goods delivered and re-delivered in the US might not constitute doing business in the US.

Other attorneys may differ in this analysis. I am a business not immigration attorney.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.