Skip to main content

My I-20 was terminated and I did re-entry from Mexico after I get a new I-20. Will I be denied for a new visa?

Brooklyn, NY |

I'm a international student from Asia, my first I-20 was terminated because I didn't get the condition that school asked in the first semester. Then the DSO told me I could do reinstatement or re-entry to keep studying in U.S.. In the next week, I applied a school for language program, and they gave me a new initial I-20. Fortunately, my visa was not expired. Then I went to Mexico for a short time and re-entry successfully. But the problem is the school on visa is not the school now I'm studying in. I have now transfered to another university and prepare to go back my country for a new visa cause the old one was expired.
In my case, will I be forbidden to go back to U.S. for further study or will my visa be denied cause I didn't get a new visa right after I got the new I-20.

BTW, I'm from China.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Doesn't look too kosher.. Ask your school's DSO again.. But with those kinds of "friends" who needs enemies?

No, seriously now, that will mostly depend on the particular U.S. consulate you'll apply at: Paris, no problem. London: big problem.. Moscow? Kiev"" Don't even appear...
Hindustan? Don't even bother.. Rome, Madrid, Istanbul, Stockholm, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei : god loves you. Africa? Continue your "language" studies in... the United Kingdom: You'll end up acquiring a much more valuable vocabulary and will speak the Queen's English..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Only G-d and the consulate official who will be making a decision knows or will know the answer to this question.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


As long as the school you are studying in is the one on the I-20 you entered on you are fine. A visa is not required unless you leave the U.S. after your current visa in that classification is epxired. Look at your I-94 card. If it says "D/S" this mean Duration of Stay and as long as you have an underlying I-20 that is still valid you are in status. The visa could hav expired years ago. Remember visa is only relevant for entering the U.S. Once you are here the I-94 governs your status and time period you can stay.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law



But last time I use a visa to enter U.S. from Mexico, and the school on the visa was not the school on the I-20. Will that be a problem in the future if I want a new visa.