Skip to main content

My husband was injured in a slip & fall accident at work. What steps should we take for compensation?

Crossville, TN |

He works for a sanitation contractor doing work on someone else's property. There was negligence on the part of the property owner which resulted in his accident.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


He probably has two claims to make. First, a workers' comp claim and second, a third party claim against the negligent homeowner. Suggest you talk to a work comp lawyer first as that will get him relief the quickest.


I agree. Your husband may have two claims. Usually, you have to resolve the workers comp claim first since the workers comp folks may have a lien on the proceeds. Call a lawyer tomorrow so he can follow up on the negligence of the property owner. He should also handle the workers comp claim. There are a lot of pitfalls you need to be aware of. Good luck.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.


First, the most important thing is for him to get medical treatment for his injuries. If photos of the area where the injury occurred are possible, have some get photos. You may also want to get photos of his injuries. He may have both a personal injury claim and a worker's comp claim (since he was apparently in the course of his employment when he fell).
He should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer and a worker's comp lawyer.

This does not establish an attorney client relationship and you should contact a license attorney in your state if you desire legal advice.


Your husband should have immediately reported his fall to his employer. The employer should then provide him a list of doctors to select for treatment under workers' compensation. Your husband has both a workers' compensation case and what is called a "third party" case against the negligent land owner. However, the compensation, if any, from each case depends upon numerous factors. If you need assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer