Skip to main content

My husband was in a serious burn accident, he was taken to the local hospital, he had 3rd. degree burns.

Chattanooga, TN |

He was admitted and they preformed a skin graft from his left thigh to his shoulder, he was sent home a week later he was taken back to the local hospital with excessive bleeding from his thigh, his legs and burns were grossley infected, he was then transferred to a trauma center , they said the 1st skin graft had failed due to cutting to deep, and was so badley infected he was put on antibiotics for a week before they could do another skin graft on his other thigh which took well, he was sent home, he had trouble walking because of the grafts a couple a months later I had to take him back to the 1st hospital he was having chest pains , he was admiited and they released him at 2am in the morning with no way to get in touch with me, they gave him a trust passing warning to leave.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

From you question, it looks like you potentially have two separate issues.

First, if your husband's burn injuries were caused by the negligence of another person or the occurred at work, he has a potential lawsuit against the negligent third party and/or his employer that could help pay for medical bills and lost wages. If this is the case, the negligent third-party and/or his employer would likely be responsible for all the medical bills, including the additional bills caused by the negligence of the hospital, if any. It is also possible that the hospital could be brought into the lawsuit as well under this scenario.

Second, if the original injuries were not caused by the negligence of some third party and did not occur on the job, he may have a claim against the hospital and/or doctors who treated him for medical malpractice. It is impossible to determine based on your submission whether you have a medical malpractice claim or not. Medical malpractice cases are expensive, complex, and very difficult to win.

I recommend you contact an experience personal injury attorney in your area to advise you further. Most attorneys offer a free consultation.


From the facts provided, I cannot decipher whether the physicians/hospital deviated from the normal standard of care and whether this amounts to medical malpractice. I would recommend consulting with a medical malpractice attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. At a minimum, it appears from the facts provided that you may have a negligence case if a third-party is responsible for the burns or equipment that may have contributed to or caused the burns.

I wish you the best of luck.


This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer