Skip to main content

My husband was deported in 2008 with a 10yr inadmissability bar. Is there hope or anything I can do in the meantime?

San Jose, CA |

He was deported after having his Visa denied in 2008. He tried to return illegally to the US which resulted in being detained for 2 months and then deported with a 10yr punishment.

How can i find out if they would reconsider his case? Can I do anything before the completion of the 10yrs or do I strictly have to wait?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


He possibly could apply for a hardship waiver. Consult with an attorney to determine your options.


Meet with an immigration attorney to determine he exact nature of the two "deportations"

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


He may be under the "permanent bar".

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


It appears that he was deported twice. This may bar him permanently under the current law and he would have to reside outside the US for 10 years first before he becomes eligible for a waiver.
You should consult with an immigration attorney for a review of his case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer