Skip to main content

My husband turned off my phone and I am disabled. We are separated. Is this legal?

Guntersville, AL |

He is also trying to take my house before the divorce by saying that he was foreclosed on. We have been separated a year and a half and I lived in the marital home until two months ago when he sexually abused me. Now the guy we bought it from, which is his friend, says that he hasn't paid in seven months so he foreclosed and sold it to my stepson, but no one ever notified me of anything. My name is not on the original contract, but it is our marital home and we have been living there for six years. Can they get away with this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

This will depend on a couple of factors. If you have already filed for a divorce and there is an Order stating that he cannot turn off your telephone, then he would not be in contempt. Also, if there has not been a Protection from Abuse filed and an Order entered, then once again he would not be in contempt of an Order. You should hire an attorney as soon as you can to protect your rights. Once you hire an attorney, he or she can file a divorce and certain motions asking that he be ordered to reconnect your telephone and that he not interfere with you, your property, or your utilities. You may also be able to get the Court to award some type of support pending a final hearing that could ultimately be awarded to continue after the divorce. I would definitely urge you to contact a divorce attorney as soon as possible to discuss your rights.


Without more information, I cannot fully answer your question. First, have either one of you already filed for divorce? If so, have there been any hearings? You really need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your interests.