My husband told me he was leaving me and packed clothes yesterday and left. He is employed with NSA with Top Secret Clearance. H

Baltimore, MD |

My husband told me he was leaving me and packed clothes yesterday and left. He is employed with NSA with Top Secret Clearance. He has been very abusive to me and the police have come to our home on several occasions in response to my calls. He refuses to leave the marriage as much as he has said to avoid alimony. (i am on disability) He has gone to NSA to report that I provoked the incidents. He said today that NSA would be coming to our home to mediate that we dissolve ou marriage so he wont lose his clearance. As well as escort him to pick up his belongings. Would this excuse him from desertion/abandonment ground for divorce?

Unless you agree otherwise you do not waive any grounds for divorce. Once an agreement is reached on all issues in a divorce, however, there is usually no reason to proceed on fault grounds, and most people are content to use no fault grounds (one year separation).

You do not have to mediate with him or any NSA representatives if you do not want to. Do not sign anything, anything that they propose as a resolution, you should have reviewed by an attorney. You need to know what you legal options are before entering into any agreement. Don't get bullied into something. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, my office is in Severna Park and we offer reduced rate initial consultations.