My husband ran off an is buying a house

Granite City, IL |

OK my husband ran off an is involved in a relationship already an is buying a home we are not legal separated I was wondering if he has to put his home in the divorce an spilt everything. We have not been married even one year. I need help we have no kids but I have 4 kids of my own an he was the main provider for all of us.

Since he bought it during the marriage (And presuming using marital funds), it's presumed marital property. Talk to a family law attorney in your area for specific guidance.

if you have not done so, you should pursue the father of your four children for child support. david is right, that new house is presumed to be marital property in your marriage.

go see a lawyer.

I have tried for child support but my kids father keeps running off and the courts say they can never find him.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

if he cannot be found, then there can be no support. that is a sad but true fact.

You should consult with a divorce attorney ASAP.. The father of the four children should be paying child support for them. There are programs available through the state's attorney's office in your area that will not charge you to represent you in the prosecution of your child support issues. The home he is buying will be marital property, It will only really become a marital issue if there is actually some equity in it. Your attorney will need to do discovery to see what type of down payment he put down on it and where he got the money from. You may be entitled to some maintenance or spousal support but not for a really lengthy period of time. Again I suggest you get the divorce going ASAP. Good luck to you and your children.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Jenet Gonzalez Pequeno

Jenet Gonzalez Pequeno

I would just add that I would be very interested in what he put down on his mortgage application.