Skip to main content

My husband pays child support for his 2 girls. What are the laws regarding who claims the kids on taxes?

Spring Hill, FL |
Attorney answers 3


The first places to look for the answer to your question are the Final Judgment of divorce, and if applicable, the marital settlement agreement or mediation agreement. In many cases the parties have previously come to agreement on how to claim exemptions and deductionns associated with minor children. If the deductions/exemptions are not addressed in either the Final Judgment or the agreement however, the IRS rules allow the parent who has the child(ren) more than 50% of the time to claim them.

Finally, child support is not considered income. So the parent who receives child support does not report it as income, and the parent paying child support cannot deduct it from his/her income.

I suggest that you speak to an attorney in your area who has experience in family law and child support. That attorney would be better able to address the specific circumstances in your case and to explain the options you have. Good luck.


Unless the parties agree otherwise, the parent who has physical custody gets the deductions.


I agree with the other attorneys. One important point to note is that he cannot claim the kids unless you sign a Form 8332. Please see my legal guide entitled DIVORCED OR SEPARATED PARENTS-DETERMINATION OF DEPENDENCY EXEMPTION here at avvo at the following link for more details about the tax rules in this area:

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency. ,
website is
blog is