Skip to main content

My husband left me, I am sick, on disability and just got evicted from our apt. I have nowhere to go. Can you please help me?

Naugatuck, CT |

I am a 49 yo female that was employed as a med tech with the state of CT (DMR) I was severely injured at work that left me disabled. I now have a titanium cage and rods in my spine along with other medical issues that prevent me from working. I am now on disability. My husband walked out on me and within a month after, he served me with divorce papers. I am on a limited income and could not afford an attorney. I eventually took my husband to court for spousal support representing myself and now he is ordered to pay me $500.00 per month. I have 2 issues. I am now getting evicted from our apartment because my rent was more than what I was getting in disability. I have nowhere to go so I am packing my belongings to put in storage. My lease was up so I was forced to rent month to month and because of this, the rent increased again. When my husband left, we spoke afterwards and he assured me he would help me for a couple months with my rent which of course I never received a penny. I now have to go back to court the 3rd week of January because he is fighting spousal support. He tried to offer me a lump sum of money and in turn I would sign a paper he drew up that he would no longer owe me anything. I was tempted because of the situation I am in but something told me not to accept his offer. In the meantime, because my husband is fighting spousal support, I will have to submit another financial affidavit . Since I can no longer pay rent, Im afraid the court will lower his payments to me. I am trying to find an apartment, low income housing, even an effeciency but in the meantime I need the money he gives me to eventually pay to survive on. Im not sure what to do now. I received a notice to quit possession dated for Jan 3, 2009. I have never been in this situation before. My husband and I have been married for one year and approximately 7 years ago he left me and never contacted me until a year later. He was living with his sister in FL. I didnt pursue him. I was working then (before my injury) and at that point assumed it was over. We eventually got back together and worked some issues out with therapy. This is 7 years ago. Now I am ill, disabled at 49 years old and have nowhere to go. I am very scared I will wind up on the streets. Can you please help me? Thank you for any advice you have to offer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, your situation isn't uncommon.

I sincerely hope that things worked out for you and you didn't wind up on the streets. There are a number of services available for women who are displaced because of divorce.

The reality of the situation is that you need to adjust your lifestyle to your income, and if you need to go on public housing, that may be your only bet to receive rent that you can afford and still leave money for food and utilities.

I really wish you the best.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer