Skip to main content

My husband is lock up in Stewart detention center in lumpkin,G.A how can I get him out the judge denied his bond when ice took h

Lumberton, NC |
Attorney answers 7


Don't believe him. See an experienced immigration attorney.

Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Don't you believe or trust him. He is simply after your money and will likely "disappear" and or not return your calls anymore as soon as collect the first installment. Seek a reputable, experienced and licensed immigration lawyer in your area. Do not pay attention to the list that the detention center guards might hand you, nor contact any of the lawyers' whose business cards the detention center guards might hand you.. Those are usually the worst attorneys and typically bribe the guards to hand out their business cards or recommend them.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


First Why was he arrested and in ICE custody?
Second if the judge denied him bond then he must be subject of mandatory detention or considered aggravated felon for immigration law purposes.

Third. Never trust someone who tells you I can without a valid defense or argument.
Fourth keep your piece of mind and hire an attorney for him.



He had 5 DUI along time ago,but do you think I can get him out before they take him back to his country I have a immigration lawyer ,but she didn't do r say nothing when the judge denied him my husband been in jail since 2/25/14 what can I do


I don't think you can bond him out with 5 DUIs. The judges at Stewart routinely deny bonds for immigrants with one DUI, saying they are a danger from society. Your husband clearly has an alcohol and substance abuse problem. Hire an attorney to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. Since it is unlikely to bond out, you need to see if he qualifies for any immigration benefit and prepare a removal defense. If not, he has to take voluntary departure under safeguards or be deported. Time is of the essence.


You should retain an immigration attorney and seek a means to obtain a favorable decision from the Immigration court. In the interim it is very likely he will remain in ICE custody. Please be aware an attorney cannot promise results such as a release from custody.

Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not constitute legal advice as all facts are known to him. For specific advice or representation you should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law. Mr. Brown's reply on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship not constitute legal advice.


If an immigration judge already denied bond, your husband can either appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals, or file a new bond motion based on changed circumstances. But there needs to be a real change of circumstances in order to resubmit. Judges in Stewart are well-known for denying bonds. I doubt very much whether someone claiming to be a D.A. would have any weight with the immigration court. I would instead seek out an experienced immigration attorney who has practiced at Stewart before.


Talk with an experienced immigration attorney who regularly represents folks detained at the Stewart facility.

After doing so, they will be able to 1) review the reason why the initial bond was denied and 2) review what, if anything, could be done to show the necessary changed circumstances from the time of the original denial to the present in order to qualify for a second bond hearing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer