My husband is in love with another woman and wants an uncontested divorce. I have nothing. No job or income. What should I do?

New York, NY |

He wants me to sign uncontested divorce papers so that I can seek and receive help to get back on my feet from organizations that will supposedly help me because I would then be a divorced/single woman with absolutely nothing.He makes about $70,000+ per year. I have no job, income or a place to live. I don't think this is right in any sense.

The unfortunate fact, from your perspective, is that either way he will get a divorce. But without knowing a lot more about your situation the only good advice that can be given is not to sign anything before you have a conversation with a local attorney - in detail - about the marriage. How long have you been married? Are there children? Properties? IRAs or 401ks? All of it is important.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Thank you for your response. I will look into that. I can give you a very detailed explanation of everything,but I don't wish to do that on this public forum. To answer your questions we've been married 2.5 years. No children or property. He has a 401k with his job and I'm not too sure about the IRA situation.

Don't do anything without consulting a matrimonial lawyer. You may be entitled to maintenance and support.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Thank you. I will do that.

If you sign those papers you may be giving away some very vital rights. Speak to a local matrimonial attorney immediately.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. I can be reached any time at 347-289-5886. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

You may have a claim for alimony (i.e., maintenance). You thus owe it to yourself to at least schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Do not sign any documents without first consulting a family lawyer.