My husband is a non- violent offender is release date is Nov. 2013, is there any way he can apply for an half way house?

He's in a minimum security prison in Ione, CA he has served 7 yrs he served 2 yrs in CDCR fire camp program

Best Answer

He seems like a good candidate for transitional release given that he served in fire camp. I've been to Ione several times; I assume you are referring to the lowest level of custody there.

Usually, once a person's release date gets near, he is transferred to a minimum security housing arrangement where he can sometimes be released during the day to work at a job in the community, either through a state program or a private employer.

If the prisoner does well, he may possibly qualify for placement in a half-way house, a residential facility where he can have a job, and may even qualify for day or weekend passes. Once he has completed the halfway house, he can be released to the community. My understanding (which might be wrong) is that the halfway house stay is about 6 months. He should probably tell his counselor that he wants transitional release into a halfway house, so that this acceptance process can start now.

Yes, he is on the lowest form of custody, I will tell him to speak to his counselor about transitional housing. Thank you for your time and feedback!

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

No problem. I have a lot of respect for the fire camp guys.

Robert Zaiden Corrado

Robert Zaiden Corrado

Ms.Gutekunst is right on point and her information is correct.. You husband's attorney can easily handle this for him. I suggest that your husband contact him/her.

Can he? Sure - nothing's stopping him. But it won't do any good unless he gets his sentence modified, and if that wasn't discussed prior to his original sentencing, good luck doing it now.

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

It needs to be part of a sentencing modification. Likely, they won't approve it now because his release date is in 10 months.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.