Skip to main content

My husband has been jailed with a $50,000 bond and menacing with a deadly weapon. What do I do?

Englewood, CO |

My husband was defending us from a person who threatened to cut my throat. He threatened both of us, attempted to stab my husband with the spikes on the bottom of a lawn sign, and threw bricks at him, causing him to bleed. Why is my husband incarcerated while this person is free, what can I do to reduce the bond and press charges, and what do I do in the meantime? It doesn't help that the rent is due and I have no way to pay it. My husband is gainfully employed, has worked hard all his life, and has (or had) a clean record. Please help!

My husband is 63 years old and has a medical condition which requires him to take medicine. I have not been able to get a message to him and he cannot call me. He has refused to speak with the police unless he has a lawyer, but we cannot afford one. I have made countless telephone calls, most of them dead ends. For example, the public defenders' office had a recording which claimed that they were closed, despite its being during regular business hours on a weekday and not a holiday. I also called some legal aid groups, only to be told that they do not handle criminal cases. When I was finally able to contact a detective who had been assigned to the case, he informed me that my statement was contrary to all the others and said that if the other person had had a gun, he would have been justified in shooting my husband. What is going on here?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are either going to have to be patient while the public defender does their job, or find a private attorney that takes payments. You may find one here: | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.


My colleague is correct. You will either need the services of the Public Defender (we have some of the best ones in the nation in CO) or hire one of the many attorneys on Avvo who practice criminal defense and take cases on a low pay/slow pay basis. Many of us do so. This is an incredibly serious case and you simply have to have good counsel representing him. Whether you have to get a loan, max out credit cards, etc. - I have seen people over the past 21 years of practicing be able to afford a private attorney. Public Defenders are overwhelmed with over 200-250 felony cases at a time. Private attorneys handle 40-50 cases max at any one time.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


My goodness -- what a story. The best thing you can do? You scrape together every resource you can and hire someone that has great experience in the criminal defense arena. Chris Leroi -- a former judge and highly regarded courtroom lawyer throughout our state -- responded to this same question and would be a great choice for your husband. The charges are more serious than you might imagine and in teh criminal defense world, you frequently get what you pay for so make a great decision!

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.