Skip to main content

My husband got taken from ice. I am trying to figure out what i need to do and what i step i need to take?

Indianapolis, IN |

I am his wife, i am an american citizen and we have 2 kids. I Was wondering what do i need to do and who i can talk to in helping me out and getting my husband out of deportation. Do i need to talk to a criminal immigration lawyer? What are my actions that i need to do?

i was also wondering is there a way i can get him out of there?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to hire an immigration attorney , and if your husband had a criminal issue, a criminal lawyer too, and to obtain his criminal records if the criminal issue comes from the past.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


You need to contact experienced immigration attorney ASAP. If the reason he was taken in is because of the crime or an earlier criminal record, then you also need a criminal attorney.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You need to contact a removal (deportation) defense attorney directly and promptly so that he or she can review the details of your husband's case and advise you about your options.

The removal process can be simple or complicated depending on the details of each case, and in order to properly advise you, an attorney will need a lot of information about your husband's immigration and criminal history - these are crucial to his current situation - so it will be helpful for you to get as many details as possible about any prior arrests he may have had and about any prior contact he may have had with immigration authorities.

As far as the overlap with criminal issues, some additional information is needed, but when you discuss the case with an attorney he or she will be able to advise you about that as well. If your husband was taken from ICE custody by state or federal law enforcement, then you probably would need a criminal attorney - but if it's the other way around (if he was taken from state or federal law enforcement by ICE), then the criminal case is probably on hold for a bit. I'm attaching a link to a guide I wrote about "ICE holds" which may help explain the process of going from local custody to ICE custody. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer