Skip to main content

My Husband filed annulment against me stating I marry him for papers to hurt my citizenship and take my greencard away from me

New York, NY |

I won green card lotto in 2009 & I never use it because of of marriage. My husband kicked me out without any of my possessions including important papers, jewelry money. He now states that i was using him for my Green card he filed a annulment against me stating that our marriage wasn't real!!! What can i do. My lawyer says now my citizenship will be a stake. I already have my permanent green card. How can i prove to the court i won a green card lottery but I lost that there anyway for me to get proof? My husband worked and never paid taxes and cheated the system. I was the only one in the family working busting my butt off. He has all my money and everything I ever worked for because I paid him every week all my money to save. Why does annulment costs me $5000?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


This is a question for your divorce lawyer. Generally, the petitioner must prove the grounds for the divorce, rather than the defendant disprove them. If you feel you can do it without an attorney, you can save $5000. It is strongly recommended you use an attorney.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Hi there- you should consult with a family attorney to help you. Your ability to get citizenship will depend on whether you committed marriage fraud. Talk to an attorney who can review your case.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.


In NY you can contest the grounds of a divorce/annulment as long as it is not based upon a no fault ground. Costs for an annulment or a divorce varies with the lawyer. If he is seeking an annulment you can answer and counterclaim for a divorce on no fault grounds. Consult with an experienced divorce lawyer to help you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You do need a very good and experienced matrimonial attorney to fight the grounds of annulment and marriage fraud. How much it will cost you, will depend on the lawyer you retain. Speak to several, but do not go for the cheapest, go for the one you feel comfortable with and who has experience.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


You can do a Freedom of Information Act Request to get a copy of any prior documents you filed. Keep in mind that you don't automatically lose your green card simply because your husband walks into USCIS and claims you committed marriage fraud. They need to investigate. You can consult with an immigration attorney to see how to protect yourself if there is an investigation. However, if conditions have not been removed from your green card, then immediately go see an immigration attorney. Their are options available to you.

FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at Our responses on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship. Our responses on this website are for educational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Immigration and nationality law is a complex area of law which requires careful review of a person's particular circumstances. Do not rely on any answers provided on this site to make a decision on your case. For proper legal advice, you may contact us for a free initial consultation.


You should be able to obtain the back paperwork from Immigration. As for the annulment, if there are any assets, you may be able to claim an equitable share of same. As for the price, attorneys fees vary - shop around & don't be afraid to retain an attorney from Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn as prices tend to be lower when the attorney's office is outside of Manhattan (due to lower overhead). Thus, schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.