Skip to main content

My husband applied for a U-visa before we got marry, now he wants to send my papers...

San Francisco, CA |

My husband applied for a U-visa before we got marry, now he wants to send my papers as addition so we both can get U-visa. should we wait for his approval first and then file my papers or do we need to send papers asap along with his before he gets an approval?
Please advise!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


YOu need an immigration attorney to work on this case.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You're going to need to consult a qualified immigration lawyer who does U visas for guidance on this one. If you were not married when your husband filed his I-918, then you are not going to qualify as a derivative beneficiary and cannot file for U2 status. However, if your husband later adjusts to lawful permanent resident (after a 3 year mimimum LPR), you may have some relief through an I-929, but it's no walk in the park, and you're going to have show extreme hardship. You can search for an immigration lawyer at Best of luck to you and your husband.


You urgently need an immigration lawyer to look at this case.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.