Skip to main content

My husband and I have been married for 6 months. What are the first steps and reqs. in order for him to obtain his green card?

Los Banos, CA |
Attorney answers 4


I am assuming that you are a United States citizen. If you husband entered the United States with a visa and he doe snot have criminal record you can petition for him and apply for his permanent residence all in one step. You should contact an immigration attorney so that they can review all of your documents and, at the very least, explain the process to you.

FREE CONSULTATION ON IMMIGRATION AND DEPORTATION MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of KiKi M. Mosley 208 S. LaSalle St. Suite 1400 Chicago, Illinois 60604 773-501-2039 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


First step - File I-130.

Depending on his status and how he entered the US, 2nd step, which is to file for Adjustment of Status, could also be filed simultaneously with Step One, but would need more details in order to be able to say for sure.

Requirements are also that you have a bona fide marriage, he is crime-free, you earn enough money to support him, and the list goes on and on.

If you are able, please consult with an attorney prior to filing anything with USCIS.

Disclaimer: Contact me at (314) 645-7900 or at to discuss the above answer in more detail if you wish. But if you want legal advice, you will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on the above answer or any other answers on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Therefore, I provide the information in this web site for informational purposes only. The information does not constitute legal advice. The use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship with me. Further communication with our attorneys through AVVO, our website at, and/or e-mail may not be considered as confidential or privileged.


The first step would be to establish his eligibility. To do that, I suggest consulting an immigration attorney.


Did he enter with a visa? That is the key question, if not there will be major problems . For more info See link below

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer