Skip to main content

My husband and I are not legally separated but he has moved out am I obligated to continue to pay his health and auto insurance?

Blanchester, OH |

my husband and I are not legally separated but he has moved out and is living with another woman in a different county. I found out that he has been seeing her for about 4 years. I carry the health insurance through my employer. The cost is split between myself and my employer. Am I obligated to continue to pay for his health insurance and his auto insurance? My spouse quit his job 2.5 years ago and filed for disability which hasn't been approved yet. Because he has had no income I have worked 50-70 hrs since he quit to try and make ends meet. We have had to take money out of my 401K to also help cover cost of things. We both are in are 50's and have no children living at home.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless you have a court order stating that you must pay for his health and auto insurance, then you are not obligated to do so. However, if you or your husband file for divorce or separation, it is normal for a court to prevent either of you from making any changes to things like insurance or finances. From the facts you stated here, though, you have potential liability for paying spousal support. I would recommend you speak to an attorney as soon as possible to protect your interests. Good luck.

Attorneys on Avvo are donating their time. If my answer was helpful, please click "Best Answer" or "Helpful." I am licensed in Ohio. I handle cases involving family law, employment law, and civil rights law. The nature of Avvo means that you have provided no documentation or full case details; therefore, any answer cannot be relied upon as legal advice. I am not your attorney. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.


Let me add to what Jennifer said. Most courts do make orders once the divorce is filed not to do this. But, it's more than that. There is a statute prohibiting it.

Read section A closely and it says not to do it if you do so immediately preceding the file of a divorce. The cost to you doing so could be astronomical. My suggestion is keep the insurance in force. It's not worth the risk.

See this as well for a good summary.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


I would also caution you that while you may be legally able to terminate the health and automobile insurance you provide for your spouse before a divorce action is filed, you may also be held responsible for any debts incurred by your spouse which result from the termination of coverage by a domestic relations court. It is almost always a better decision to maintain insurance coverage until the marriage is terminated.