Skip to main content

My husband and I are completing the on line Divorce Decree. This is an uncontested divorce.

Las Vegas, NV |

We live in Nevada and this is a Community Property state. My understanding is we complete the Divorce Decree and submit it then after the judge reviews it we complete the division of property. Is this correct? We have already agreed on the seperation of property and are both in agreement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is no such thing as an "online" divorce. You need to file a Joint Petition that is complete and includes your agreed upon division of assets and debts. There are other forms required to be completed and filed, which should be in your packet (if you only got a decree online, you need to get the entire packet). The Judge will only sign off on the decree if everything is complete and in proper order. There are many attorneys who do these types of cases at a low rate or flat fee. You would be well served to seek one out in your area as there are many potential pitfalls in "do-it-yourself" paperwork.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.


Ms. Whitbeck is right - this process is full of little traps and snags that you will only discover later when you try to enforce the decree. Inevitably, some minor misunderstandings between the two of you, or your lack of understanding of the law or process, create headaches. You would do well to have an attorney look over what you are doing to make sure you get it right the first time. That said, if you are intent on doing this yourself, make sure you spend enough time learning what the proper process is before you start filing things. The Family Law Self Help Center at the Family Courts will give you much of what you need, though they are not attorneys and can steer you in the wrong direction at times. All they do is help you fill out forms. Their online forms can make filling them out easier, but it also makes filling out the wrong form easier. Make sure you learn as much as you can before you file.


I'm licensed in California although it sounds right. As a lawyer I'd advise you to have a lawyer review the agreement and advise you of your rights so you have a complete understanding of the agreement.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.