Skip to main content

My husband and child was hit by a drunk driver this past Saturday night resulting in injuries to both. How do we proceed

Nashville, TN |

My husband's doctor suspects a torn rotator cuff so for the next week he is doing therapy and will go back and may be facing surgery and months off from work. My daughter injured her knee on impact and hurt her back. Her doctor at Vanderbilt wrapped her knee for support and found bruising and swelling, she also has been diagnosed with back issues from the impact of the wreck.We are seeing if her knee and pain and bruising is completely gone after a week of icing the knee and resting it as well as her back and if both aren't better we go to specialists. My husband and daughter may have a long road to recovery and we need someone to guide us as to where to go from here.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


You need to hire a Nashville attorney as soon as possible. Let me know if you have specificc questions I can answer for you.


You should talk to an injury attorney as soon as possible. Do not talk to the other persons insurance company without an attorney. They are not on your side.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


First, you should make sure everyone in the family gets fully checked out to make sure you understand what injuries you are dealing with. Second, consider gathering as much factual information about the circumstances of the crash as possible. Sometimes it starts with ordering a police report. I can include speaking with witnesses, or gathering other information about the scene, who was there, etc. Third, document your damages. If you have damage to the vehicle, photograph it. Take pictures of the scene, making sure to include landmarks that visually identify the scene from other places. It will take a while to get through the medical treatment, and by then, information about the crash will have disappeared. Strongly consider meeting with a personal injury attorney in your area that you trust - that person will be able to guide you on the specifics of your claim. Also, watch what you say to an insurance adjuster or investigator for the other driver - first impressions can mean a lot. Tennessee gives you up to one year to resolve your situation before having to file a lawsuit, so use the time promptly to protect yourself and heal the injuries.


You definitely need guidance. You can check the Find A Lawyer tab at the top of the avvo page for Nashville attorneys. You should also feel free to contact any of my colleagues from Nashville who respond to your question here. Best of luck to you....

I will evaluate your case for free. I can also refer you to an attorney to help you if I cannot help you. Joyce J. Sweinberg, Esquire 215-752-3732 Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


Get medical treatment PROMPTLY for both your husband and daughter. If they need specialists, go to specialists. They may need extensive physical therapy and the longer you wait the more difficult recovery wil be. Schedule consultations with local personal injury attorneys. Most offer free consultations and can give you a better analysis of your claim.


Seek an experienced personal injury attorney immediately, and make sure your husband and daughter are following through with any and all recommended treatment. If the person that hit them are convicted of a DUI at their arraignment, they may be able to use this as leverage in their claim to boost its value. Your husband may also be compensated for any and all lost wages as a result of any injuries sustained in the accident. My office would be happy to help you with any questions, and we can be reached at (706) 353-7722. I wish your husband and daughter a speedy recovery.

If this information has been helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" or "Helpful". For more information, contact my office at or (706) 353-7722. My office offers a free 60-minute consultation to discuss your case.


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Simply retain a personal injury lawyer for representation.


Call Chris Gilreath, who answered your post. He's a skillful and caring lawyer. Good luck.


Given the severity of the circumstances surrounding the accident including the injuries to your husband and daughter along with the fact the driver was intoxicated, you should decline all conversations with the other driver's insurance company and locate an experienced attorney in Nashville to advise your family of the steps necessary to preserve your rights.

Lots of attorneys take on cases like this, but I would recommend an attorney that specializes in personal injury cases of this nature.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer