Skip to main content

My hus and I got employer based green cards thru his work. He won't give it to me since we're separated. Anything I can do?

Novato, CA |

We haven't filed separation although we've been separated for three years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You can file an I-90 for a replacement green card but be sure to also file an AR-11 reporting your address change so your new card will go to you.

alternatively you can consult a family law attorney and negotiate for the card as part of that process. It belongs to you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Below is a link to the website with instructions on how to request a replacement green card.

By posting on this site or answering/responding to questions does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended to be an opinion only. My opinion is not intended to be a guarantee or promise of any outcome or result in your matter.


I agree with my colleagues. Filing for replacement card would be an option.


Seek a replacement if you have some basic information about your file. If not, seek assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to help you out.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.