Skip to main content

My house is in foreclosure.I am disabled,have lived here 14yrs.No more Child Support and can't afford it.

Highland, NY |

Hurricane Irene destroyed basement and only got reimbursed for furnace by FEMA.Black mold and totally destroyed.Don't want to lose my home but don't know what to do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should file a petition for downward modification in the Family Court. The court will want to look at any reduction of income and significant increase in expenses since the time of the last order. They will want to see whether you are collecting Social Security Disability and whether you receive any other income from working. You should also bring your foreclosure papers with you. It is very unlikely that the court will terminate child support, however if your income has gone down substantially since the last court order, you may be entitled to have your child support lowered.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitution for legal advice. Answering a question does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, you should consult or retain legal counsel.


You should post this in the Real Estate secion. Also check what help me available from charitable organizations.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


you should repost this in the real estate section as the question has very little to do with child support and more with the real estate issue and the foreclosure issue...