Skip to main content

My house has been effectively taken away without any due cause by the manger of the apartment. what should I do?

Las Vegas, NV |

I live in student apartments where they rent out rooms for students. My room which I had accepted/was under a written contract for has been taken away and the manager has given the room to a stranger without my consent. she just emailed me that my account has been cancelled without any explanation as to why. I already made payments and just needed to move in to the room when I go back(currently outside the U.S). when I called them they suddently changed and told me they have another room "on hold" because I was "under the impression that I wasn't coming back"--then why keep a room on hold? (just to mention again, I paid my fee but she moved me to another room that I never made contract for) they r now asking me to pay 7000dollars if i want to break the contract and move out from apartment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


IF your contract was for a specific room, not simply a specific type of room you may have something. However, any lawyer would need to read your contract first and understand whether your room was in a university controlled housing or simply private housing that rents to students.

Assuming you have a written contract for a specific room, you may have to sue for your room. Before you do that, speak with a LV area landlord tenant attorney, let him/her review your documents and determine what options you may have.

The $7K threat sounds like blowing smoke--you would likely never have to pay the full contract value of the room (and the LL knows that). Speak with a LV LL-T attorney ASAP.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer