Skip to main content

My Green Card will expire in 3 months, but I want to apply for Citizenship instead of a renewal, is it too late?

Miami, FL |

Usually applying for Citizenship is no less than 6 months* prior to the Green Card expiration date, however is there anything that I can do to avoid paying $450.00 (green card renewal) for nothing, since I won't need the Green Card, once my Citizenship application gets approved in less or 6 months from now??

*Financial issue, not negligence, is the reason why I didn't apply for Citizenship earlier.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

The USCIS understands that this happens, and have provided for it. Once the N-400 has been filed, and you have received the I-797 Receipt Notice, make an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office; use the "speak with an officer" choice. Bring your passport, your green card, your Receipt Notice with you, along with two copies of each. My experience has been that once you have the proof of filing (the Receipt Notice), your passport can be stamped with a "temporary green card" endorsement which is normally valid for a one-year period.

Good luck!

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.


I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I also agree with my colleague.

Kate Angustia, KMA Law Offices, LLC. This answer does not create an attorney client relationship. Comments are directed to the limited facts known, and you should seek counsel from an attorney to review all of your case specific facts for advice tailored to your situation.


Attorney Glicksman provides excellent advice. However, I also recommend that you at least speak with an immigration attorney to make sure that you are eligible for naturalization and do not have any ancillary issues that could affect your case.

No information contained in this message, unless expressly denoted therefor, is intended to establish any attorney client relationship. No attorney-client relationship exists between us (Peter Acker and his associates and you) unless a written retainer or fee agreement has been signed and issued to you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer