Skip to main content

My grandmothers house is on the sheriff sales list for back taxes. what can i do to delay the sale

Philadelphia, PA |
Attorney answers 2


Good morning. Unfortunately, not much. If you dispute that the taxes are owed, you could file a lawsuit against the city. However, if your suit proves frivolous (if you think the court filed the suit only to delay), then you could wind up saying the city's attorneys' fees. If you qualify for Legal Aid, you should explain you situation. If not, you can talk to a private attorney in your area. However, keep in mind that there is probably not much you can do to prevent the tax lien sale.

Thanks for your question and best of luck.


Go to the city tax office and have you grandmother enter into an installment payment agreement. The city wants the money, not another old person put onto the street.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. Follow my answers to other questions on Twitter @LandLawyer James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600