Skip to main content

My grandmother left me her house in her will however my aunt and mother don't want me to have it. What should I do?

Conway, SC |

My grandmother raised me, I have been told that since she didn't adopt me that since they don't want me to have it I won't get it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is not enough information in your summary to give you much guidance. Is your grandmother alive or deceased? Are you a minor or adult? If your grandmother is deceased, you are an adult, and the property is titled in grandmother's name alone, AND if the Will leaves the property to you, then your mother and aunt really do not have much say in the matter. If they try to contest the Will, you would need to hire a lawyer to defend your case. But otherwise, they should be out of luck. If there are more facts which would make your situation a little clearer, please feel free to add them below.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


If the will was properly executed and submitted to probate court and states that you will receive the house then you should be able to receive the house if you have the legal capacity to do so. Contact a probate attorney for more information.

Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate wills living trust special needs trusts personal injury accident and divorce and family law and entertainment law. For further information visit his website at . Follow on Twitter Like on Facebook . Avvo LinkedIn Google + Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Evan Guthrie is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. For further information visit his website at <>.


If your grandmother has passed away and her will says you get the house, then you get the house. You do not have to be adopted to receive anything under a will. If your grandmother is still alive, she has to decide to keep you in the will. That raises the concerns that your aunt or mother will try to change your grandmother's mind about leaving you the house. That is a family issue and not really a legal one.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer