Skip to main content

My grandmother is in Intensive Care Unit. How can my mother obtain conservatorship over my grandmother? We reside in New York.

Staten Island, NY |

My grandmother's sister has forbidden the hospital to provide my mother and I with any information regarding the situation. My grandmother's sister wants access to my grandmother's benefits. My mother and I feel my grandmother is not receiving the best medical care. My mother wants to obtain conservatorship over my grandmother so we can have moved to a better hospital.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Go immediately to the Surrogate's Court in Richmond County and file a petition for a guardianship. Especially if your grandmother's health is at issue, do not wait. If you need help, contact an attorney here on Avvo or call the New York State Bar Association for a referral. If you want to call me, you may (718-878-6886). I am on the list of attorneys approved by the Office of Court Administration to be appointed Guardian, Court Evaluator and/or Attorney for AIP. If I can help you, I will.


Before running to Court, I would check your Grandmother's documents for a Power of Attorney (POA) and Health Care Proxy (HCP). The POA and HCP can save your family time and legal fees. If your Grandmother does not have these documents, then seek out legal counsel to obtain Guardianship over your grandmother.

THIS ARTICLE IS PURELY INFORMATIONAL AND CAN NOT BE RELIED UPON AS LEGAL ADVISE OR CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVISE FROM THE AUTHOR. To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS under Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments), unless otherwise specifically stated, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer