Skip to main content

My grandfather purchased 5acres in the late 1970's from his mother with a personal check&never deeded,is the check enough proof?

Glenpool, OK |

Property purchased on the crow Indian reservation. My grandfather was enrolled in the tribe and could own property on the land. He is survived by my grandmother, but she was kicked off the land by her sister-in-law two years ago. There is a dwelling that my grandfather built on the property. He was given paperwork by his mother at the time with a written and signed agreement by her that my grandfathers family(children) would have a lifetime right of access across her own property to the five acres he purchased. My mother, my grandfathers daughter, has the originally written check that my grandmother signed and dated, the memo on the check tells what was purchased. Two years ago my grandmother was evicted from the property by her sister in law, what can we do to get the property back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Maybe. You need to hire an attorney that is experienced in "Quiet Title" work. You won't be able to do this on your own.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


You do not state if the estates were ever probated. That would have an effect on your problem.

This matter requires an attorney. Contact the OK and your local bar associations for counsel familiar with reservation law and quiet title actions.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer