Skip to main content

My grand baby's father has only seen her when she was born. She is now 7 years old, can we terminate his rights & make him pay

Dallas, TX |
Attorney answers 3


You can get or enforce orders for him to ay child support. His rights will probably not be terminated unless a step father is adopting at the same time, And you cannot both terminate his rights and get support from him.

You should hire an attorney to help you. It will make the process smoother, help you avoid problems you may not see coming, and will probably result in fewer trips to the courthouse.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.


If you have relinquishment from bio mom and bio dad then you could try to go through with the adoption. If you don't have relinquishment a then file for an enforcement. You need an attorney.

This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. Consult my office for a confidential consultation. Leslie Barrows, The Barrows Firm, P.C. looks forward to protecting your rights!


You haven't indicated whether the mother's rights are still intact. If they are, then I would recommend an action to get child support from the father rather than a termination of his rights. A judge is not likely to terminate his rights unless a step father is going to adopt the child at the same time. If the mother's rights are terminated or you have grounds to terminate her as well, then you will likely be able to terminate the father's rights and adopt the child. However, once his rights are terminated you will not be able to get child support from him.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer