Skip to main content

My girlfriend is claiming that she has found a way to get a marriage license without me being involved.

Jersey City, NJ |

She wants us to marry and she is claiming that she can get the paperwork done on her own. How can I stop her from comitting this fraud? I would rather just stop it now than have to go around proving that it is a fraud later.

Can I go to the county office and sign a declaration that I am single?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I have never heard of this.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I also have not heard of this and it would be difficult to accomplish as not only would she need to provide the required documents, but she would need someone from the municipality to witness a false signature on the license application. More information regarding obtaining marriage licenses in NJ can be found here,

This response is not to be construed as legal advice and is provided for educational purposes only. This response does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response provides general legal information and education. This response does not address any specifics concerning this inquiry, as the inquiry as written may have omitted details which would make the reply unsuitable. The inquirer is strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in his or her own state to acquire more information about this issue. Licensed to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.


Run as fast as you can and as far as you can.

John Ducey


Legal stuff aside, why on earth is someone who is threatening to do this still your girlfriend?


Good Morning. Required documents when applying for a marriage license. I'm not sure how your girlfriend is going to be able to get around this. :

Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
Proof of your residency.
Your social security card or social security number.*
A witness, 18 years of age or older.
The $28 application fee.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer