Skip to main content

My friends were arrested 5 days ago for shoplifting.

East Hampton, NY |

they spent a night in jail and the court gave them released papers,they paid a fine and had been told that the case is closed but yesterday they received letter from a law company from the store that they have to pay additional 500$ each and we are foreign citizens so we are living on a vacation tomorrow and we are living usa in one week. what should we do?what can happen next?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Attorney's on AVVO generally recommend the civil fine/penalty not be paid.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.



and what could happen if they don't pay?


I agree with Mr. Piccolo. They must sue you and win. Requesting payment does not obligate you to make this payment. Time and resources are needed to sue you and for this amount that is a headache not to mention that once they receive a judgement assuming they do there is still the problem of collecting and that is another quagmire. Good luck and if this proves to be the best answer please say so.



do will they have any problems if they want to come back in usa again?and do will they have any problems on the airport when we gonna leave? cause it says that they made misdemeanor but the case is closed? thank you


Don't pay, make them go through the process.


Do not pay. I agree with my colleagues.


See an attorney It could be a civil case for damages. A letter or two by an attorney could make them go away.

This is not legal advise. Office visit for a free consult is needed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer