Skip to main content

My friend who overstayed in US for 4years is now UK Citizen. Can she now enter in US as a visitor?

Sherman Oaks, CA |

She left US 5 yrs ago and I know there is a 10 year bar that triggered when he went to the Phils beforr going to UK.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally speaking a person who is "unlawfully present" in the U.S. for a year or more is inadmissible for 10 years. If your friend remained in the U.S. for 4 years beyond the date her form I-94 expired then she is almost certainly is inadmissible for 10 year from the date of departure although she must consult with an immigration attorney to be certain. Nevertheless, she may apply for a visa at the consulate and if the application is refused because of the 10 year bar she may request a waiver.


She has to wait 5 more years.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You answered your own question.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer