Skip to main content

My friend was in a car accident where she was hit by another driver. The damage to her car was

Babylon, NY |

My friend was in a car accident where she was hit by another driver. The damage to her car was paid for by the other driver's insurance since he was at fault. Now it is some time later and she wants to return the leased car to the dealership and they are stating they have no access to any record that the car was fixed after the accident, because they don't have access to this other driver's insurance paperwork to see the outcome. They are giving my friend a hard time re this. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Why not get your friend to contact the insurance company to send your friend some paperwork describing the damage done and showing it was fixed? She could just give the dealership a copy. If fixed properly, why is the dealership complaining?

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


Ask the place where it was repaired for the paperwork or call the other carrier.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


It is your (friend's) car. Who ever fixed it has to give you (your friend) the records of the repair no matter what ins co paid. If they give you (your friend) grief, something odd has occurred and you should contact the appropriate consumer protection agency.


Get the receipt


Have your friend ask her insurance carrier provide a letter with documentation that the car was repaired. If an agent or broker sold the insurance policy, I would also ask for their cooperation.