Skip to main content

My friend was arrested for first time DUI. He paid fine, had installment of breathizer on car and applied for occup license.

Verona, WI |

His name is on his children's vehicles and they are out of town. He was denied occupational license due to his name on these titles . Can you suggest any course of action to help him gain occupational license asap.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your friend needs to confer with a criminal defense attorney to see if there are any options due to this unusual set of facts. Maybe there are exceptions to your state law in WI. Ask your attorney.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


Your friend needs to petition the court to have these vehicles exempted from the IID requirement. Forms may be available from the DOT or the court. Your friend should contact the clerk for the court with jurisdiction to see if they have a form. If not, your friend should try the DOT.

(And did you really need an out of state attorney to tell you to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in WI?)

Good luck!


As Attorney Missimer stated, he can ask the judge to exempt these vehicles. He could also change the titles but I am not sure the DMV will let him do so at this time.

A lawyer is not required for the petition to the judge, but would make the process easier and a good result would be more likely.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.