My friend received a DUI in GA. in 1993.

Naugatuck, WV |

After he made bail, his license was returned and he eventually returned to WV where he has renewed his license 4 times over 20 yrs. Now, GA is blocking his renewal until he takes a DUI class. He is disabled, his wife is disabled and she and her mother depend upon him, placing a hardship on the family should he lose his license. The class would put him way over his renewal date. Is he still bound by this, even though he says he paid cash for his DUI and has no receipt? And why is this coming up now?

Best Answer

What appears to have happened is that GA issued a suspension to drive within the borders of their state due to the 1993 arrest/conviction for DUI in the state of Georgia. In order to be reinstated to drive in that state, you must take and successfully complete an alcohol education course (a.k.a. the license classes). Most states honor courses in other states; but, you would have to check this out with the DMV headquarters in GA which should be Atlanta. As to how WV renewed you 4 times without catching is mystery. For if you remain suspended in another state for DUI, the home state will not renew you until you successfully get reinstated in the state you got your dui in and they in turn release you. Bottom Line: You should be able to do these classes in WV and get certificate of completion to GA, along with a $____ reinstatement fee, which in turn will collectively then call for GA to release you as lawful to drive within their state and in turn WV to issue you a renewed license. Best of luck. Sincerely, Harley O. Wagner, Esq. - WestVirginiaDUILawyers.com --- ps: All of which your GA attorney should have properly counseled and quided you through 20 years ago....

He contacted them and they said he could take a class and send the certificate, but the class is 6 wks long. putting him over his renewal date. He doesn't understand how he was able to renew all these years and then this pop up. He turned in his GA license when he received his WV license, and as stated earlier, he's renewed it four times. My response was they've created a data base with a list of offenders and his name came up. I will convey this to him. I had already instructed him to contact at least a public defender for advice or as you said counsel for an initial consultation and advice. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated. PS He said when he made bond they returned him is GA license. When he returned to WV, they took the GA license when he was issued his WV drivers license.

I can't say why this is coming up now, but since it's an issue your friend will obviously have to address it. I recommend that he contact an attorney in GA (many lawyers offer free initial consultations) who can help him with his DMV issue. It may be possible for him to take a class in WV to satisy the GA requirement. However, this question is best directed toward a GA lawyer since that is where the problem arose.

He contacted them and they said he could take a class and send the certificate, but the class is 6 wks long. putting him over his renewal date. He doesn't understand how he was able to renew all these years and then this pop up. He turned in his GA license when he received his WV license, and as stated earlier, he's renewed it four times. My response was they've created a data base with a list of offenders and his name came up. I will convey this to him. I had already instructed him to contact at least a public defender for advice or as you said counsel for an initial consultation and advice. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.