Skip to main content

My friend is in Riker Island.He has a C Felony, Immigration went and met with him today. what can I do so he won't get deport it

New York, NY |

They change his court day for tomorrow. I need someone help ASAP

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


He should ask for time to hire an attorney.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Get him an attorney. If one cannot make it on such notice, have him ask for time to obtain one.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


He should ask the judge for time to find a lawyer.

Find him a lawyer ... FAST.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Your friend will meet with ICE agents who are there to gather information. If ICE agents determine he is removable, in other words, his criminal acts may subject him to deportation, he will be issued a notice for immigration court appearance. If he is still serving time, he will be transported to Varick St Immigration Court on the date of hearing. He will have time to retain his own counsel to defend for him. There are multiple ways to ask the immigration court to not deport a person, depending on the circumstances. The cross sections of criminal law and immigration law is complicated. A competent attorney should make a difference.

"Oliver" Huiyue Qiu, Esq.
Tel: 646-301-8688
Fax: 646-537-2608
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1271, Union, NJ 07083
Office Visit: 5 Penn Plaza, 23rd FL, Manhattan, between 33rd St and 8th Ave (By Appointment Only)

This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. It is provided for general educational purpose. To visit my Manhattan office for consultation, please email me at ESQOLIVER@GMAIL.COM.


He needs to speak with an immigration attorney asap!


When a non citizen gets detained, it will be wise to contact an Immigration lawyer ASAP and see what help can be available. If there is an ICE hold, there might be a bond available. IF there is no ICE hold, the person should get out of State jail ASAP.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer