Skip to main content

My friend has been in jail for 6 months and has not been inditted . Can he file a constitutional rights suit?

Burnet, TX |
Attorney answers 3


No. He is entitled to a personal bond if he has been in custody more than 90 days without being indicted.
Austin Credit Card Abuse Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,


I suspect something else is holding him. If he's not indicted within ninety days of arrest, he should be given a pr bond. He needs to talk to his attorney about this

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


He needs to hire a lawyer to file a motion to dismiss for speedy trial violations or alternatively, motion for examining trial to see what eveidence they have against him. He also needs for file for a reduction in the bond amount or for release on a PR bond. If he cannot afford a lawyer, he must request the appointment of a lawyer. Burnet County is not a county you want to play around in.

Every case is different and it is difficult to get a true feel for the case from these limited postings, so please do not take these comments as legal advice. Always consult with a knowledgeable lawyer before making any potentially life-altering decisions.