Skip to main content

My friend got a DUI 2 years ago - now received a payment due over $600 from Ca Hwy Patrol for their time. Is this legal.

Salinas, CA |

She is still paying court fines . How can Calif. Hwy Patrol wait almost 2 years to bill her for their time. This was a single car collision when she hit a pole which she paid to get fixed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


This may not be a court ordered fine. This may be a civil assessment from the damage she did to the pole. If this was part of her plea deal, she will be required to pay.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


I don't practice in California but I agree with the other answer posted in this question. I wanted to add though, that if your friend is concerned about this bill/fine she should consult the attorney from her DUI case.


In some jurisdictions the police are trying to start billing for their time in criminal cases. This may be an attempt to generate extra revenue in difficult budget times. Any concern about whether this can be done should be addressed to a local DWI specialist. If it's improper the local bar will want to know about it.
Austin DWI Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,


Have your friend call me...


Since an accident was involved, it's probably legal - HOWEVER, double check the hours involved, the CHP has exaggerated their bills in the past on several of my client's cases - it's probably not going to be cost effective to hire an attorney for this (they might be able to save you a few hundred, but it would probably cost you at least that much).

Good luck with your friend's situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer